Research Funding Application 2018-19
SOURCE OF FUNDING:
The American College Counseling Association (ACCA) announces three research award opportunities for 2017-18. Counselors and researchers may apply for 3 grants that support or advance the work of mental health professionals in colleges and universities. Those selected will be encouraged to attend the ACCA annual conference and will be asked to submit their results in the Journal of College Counseling and/or as a program in the ACCA annual conference the following year.
The Grants are:
The submission deadline for the Research Grant Proposals and supporting material are due no later than October 15, 2018
WHO MAY APPLY?
The competition is open to professional and student members of the American College Counseling Association (ACCA). Practitioners as well as students are encouraged to apply. Individuals may submit, or be a part of a submission team, for only one proposal. Multiple submissions by any researcher, individually or as a part of a research team, will not be accepted.
TOPICS OF INTEREST TO ACCA
1. Topics Likely to be Chosen
2. Topics Unlikely to be Chosen
1. Application Form: The Application Form should be included with your Research Proposal.
2. Supporting Letter: Student(s) submitting a proposal must include a supporting letter from a faculty sponsor.
3. Research Proposal: Please keep under 5 pages, not including Application Form and bibliography. The Research Proposal should cover the following areas:
Research proposals will be evaluated against the following criteria:
1. Appropriateness of the Research: The appropriateness of the research to the purpose of the specific financial support requested (i.e., Grant or Funded Research).
2. Quality of the Proposed Research: The required documentation of the 5 Research Proposal sections listed above should be thorough and informative. The methodology proposed should follow accepted practice for research of that kind, and the research, as a whole, should adhere to applicable ethical standards for research with human subjects.
3. Financial Need: The budget for the research project seems sound given the nature and scope of the proposed project.
4. Plans for Dissemination: The researcher(s) offers a feasible and timely plan for dissemination of the results. The researcher will submit manuscripts derived from their research to the Journal of College Counseling and/or propose a presentation for the 2019 ACCA conference.
TIMELINES AND REPORTING RESULTS:
Each of the grant recipients is expected to keep the research committee informed if there is a delay in the proposed timeline and reporting of results.
A brief copy of the results will be e-mailed to the research committee chair once the research is complete. The researchers will retain ownership of all data and results of their research. The researchers will state their willingness to include an acknowledgment of ACCA’s financial support in all reports, publications, and presentations related to the supported project.
NOTIFICATION OF AWARDS:
All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s funding decisions by November 30, 2018.
Grants will be awarded during the February 2019 ACCA Annual Conference in Charlotte, NC. The recipient(s) of the funded research are strongly encouraged to be present to accept the award at the ACCA national conference at which they will be recognized.
Proposals and requests for further information should be submitted electronically by email attachment to:
Richard Tyler-Walker, PhD, LPC-S
President Elect - ACCA
Research Grant Committee Chair
Quick LinksJoin Now! Job Board 2019 Conference Member Resources Contact Us
ACCA Annual Conference
Through a collaboration of the PAPA Committee and the Diversity and Inclusion Committee a new paper on the Increased Need for Counseling Services has been added to the Resources Page
The HEMHA Distance Counseling Guide has been added to the resources page.2018-2019 Research Grant Applications are now being accepted. Follow the link to learn more about ACCA Research Grant Awards
Please note the addition of the College Counseling & Psychological Services Knowledge Base to the resources page.
ACCA Members in the News
Janelle Johnson comments on the state of mental services at community colleges.
Janelle Johnson on College Counseling” Psychotherapy.net Interview. Follow the
link to read the full interview.
Janelle Johnson is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article Colleges Use Technology to Help Students Manage Mental Health, October 5, 2018.
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Washington Post article College Students are forming mental-health clubs - and they're making a difference.
June 28, 2018
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article Flawed Judgement in Use of Force Against Students.
April 19, 2018
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article A World Without Depression.
April 3, 2018
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Time article Record Numbers of College Students Are Seeking Treatment for Depression and Anxiety - But Schools Can't Keep Up.
March 19, 2018
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article Moving Away from Charging for Counseling
February 7, 2018
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article Suicide Data
January 11, 2018
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article All by Myself
October 26, 2017
Lisa Adams is quoted in the Inside Higher Ed article Suicide Victims as Art Subjects
October 10, 2017